This year, the t-shirt design contest is going to be bigger and better than ever! This fun and creative contest, part of the Green Energy Challenge, is offered to K-5 students in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York thanks to National Grid.
Check out these prizes!
One student from MA or RI will win $250 for their school and shirts with their design for the classroom. They’ll also be invited to throw the first pitch at a Red Sox game during the opening ceremony this spring! Here’s a picture of last year’s winner on the field with GEF and National Grid, wearing his own t-shirt design:
One winner from New York will receive a $250 cash prize for the school and t-shirts with their winning design for the classroom. So let’s get going! Keep reading to find out how easy it is for your student to participate!
Here’s How to Participate:
Ask your students to create a t-shirt design on an 8.5″x11″ paper that addresses the following question:
What’s your favorite way to save energy?
Students can draw their favorite strategy for at home or at school. If you need some inspiration, refer to GEF’s energy saving tips to help get started.
Submit entries via email or mail to GEF by March 15. Please include school name, school address, grade level, teacher name, phone number and email address.
There are ways to boost your chances of winning!
- Submit photos of students participating in the drawing activity or other energy lesson
- Ask students to write one sentence about why saving energy is important. Submit the sentences on the back of the drawings or on a separate sheet of paper when you submit the t-shirt designs
Contest Deadline: applications must be received by March 15, 2013
Contest rules and guidelines:
- Artwork must be on 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
- The student’s first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right hand corner on the front of the t-shirt design.
- All entries must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in Kindergarten – Grade 5.
- A student may enter the contest only once.
- Schools must be located in National Grid territories (MA, RI, and NY).
Keep in mind that the artwork will be transferred to a t-shirt so fill the whole paper, use vibrant colors and avoid using words in the design.
Please do not submit:
- Collages (Do not glue anything on your artwork.)
- Computer or photo generated art and/or printing.
- Entries with the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
- Entries that are matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
Read more about the contest rules and find free lessons to accompany this art project here.